Where can I find information on starting the Going Away with Scheme and planning a residential event?
- Going Away with Guiding book (6045) and Going Away with Scheme (order code 6478)
- Use the online Guiding manual http://guidingmanual.guk.org.uk/activities/residential_events.aspx (remember to check the manual each time you plan an event as updates occur on a regular basis)
What events can I take my girls to, if I don’t have a licence?
- There are a number of events which you can go to, have a look in the manual for guidance http://guidingmanual.guk.org.uk/activities/residential_events/events_without_a_licence.aspx
- Take a look in the Adventure Made Easy publication- some of these events don’t require you to have a licence https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/activity_centres/other_centres/adventure_made_easy.aspx
- Companies such as PGL https://www.pgl.co.uk/ , sometimes run special residential events for Guiding members where you don’t need a licence.
Where can I go if I have or am working towards my Going Away with Licence?
- There is a lot of choice! Speak to other leaders in your district and division for ideas.
- Check the list on the Girlguiding Oxfordshire website for a list of local venues in our county .
- There is also Girlguiding approved indoor and outdoor accommodation in neighbouring counties, more information can be found on their websites:-
- Have a look at The Association of Scout and Guide centres website http://www.asgc.org.uk/ for ideas further afield.
- Remember if you have modules 1-4, you can take Brownies, Guides and Senior Section, to a two-night event, without completing any additional modules, if you have no responsibility for the programme, catering or facilities. For example, an event at one of the Girlguiding activity centres https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/activity_centres.aspx or an alternative activity centre.
What activities can we do?
- Again, check the online manual for guidance on more adventurous activities, including what qualifications are needed to lead the activity.
- There are some prohibited activities which are listed in the online manual http://guidingmanual.guk.org.uk/activities/non-authorised_activities.aspx
Where do I find all the forms?
- The residential event notification (REN) form, consent and health forms can all be found on the Girlguiding website at this link.
- On the same page, you can also find the Notification of accident or incident form; you should print a copy and take it with you.
- Other forms you might need for running your unit can be found here
- The risk assessment form can be found on the Girlguiding website using this link here. This has useful advice about risk management, including a sample risk assessment, There is also a variety of template risk assessments which you can find on the Girlguiding website by typing Risk assessment into the search bar.
- Information about insurance can be found on the Girlguiding website using this link here
Useful additional resources and information
- Health matters (6454)
- Catering scheme (6480)
- Climbing and abseiling scheme (6142)
- Walking scheme (6563)
- For information on large-scale events, joint events with other organisations and travelling abroad, please refer to the Going Away with Guiding book and the online manual.