Where can I find information on starting the Going Away with Scheme and planning a residential event?
- Going Away with Guiding book (6045) and Going Away with Scheme (order code 6478)
- Use the online Guiding manual http://guidingmanual.guk.org.uk/activities/residential_events.aspx (remember to check the manual each time you plan an event as updates occur on a regular basis)
What events can I take my girls to, if I don’t have a licence?
- There are a number of events which you can go to, have a look in the manual for guidance http://guidingmanual.guk.org.uk/activities/residential_events/events_without_a_licence.aspx
- Take a look in the Adventure Made Easy publication- some of these events don’t require you to have a licence https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/activity_centres/other_centres/adventure_made_easy.aspx
- Companies such as PGL https://www.pgl.co.uk/ , sometimes run special residential events for Guiding members where you don’t need a licence.
Where can I go if I have or am working towards my Going Away with Licence?
- There is a lot of choice! Speak to other leaders in your district and division for ideas.
- Check the list on the Girlguiding Oxfordshire website for a list of local venues in our county .
- There is also Girlguiding approved indoor and outdoor accommodation in neighbouring counties, more information can be found on their websites:-
- Have a look at The Association of Scout and Guide centres website http://www.asgc.org.uk/ for ideas further afield.
- Remember if you have modules 1-4, you can take Brownies, Guides and Senior Section, to a two-night event, without completing any additional modules, if you have no responsibility for the programme, catering or facilities. For example, an event at one of the Girlguiding activity centres https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/activity_centres.aspx or an alternative activity centre.
What activities can we do?
- Again, check the online manual for guidance on more adventurous activities, including what qualifications are needed to lead the activity.
- There are some prohibited activities which are listed in the online manual http://guidingmanual.guk.org.uk/activities/non-authorised_activities.aspx
Where do I find all the forms?
- The residential event notification (REN) form, consent and health forms can all be found on the members’ area of the Girlguiding website. Frequently asked questions about the forms are also available.
- Home » Members’ area & Go! » Resource library »Forms
- On the same page, you can also find the Notification of accident or incident form; you should print a copy and take it with you.
- The risk assessment form can be found on this page as well, along with guidance on how to complete a risk assessment.
- Information about insurance can be found in the online manual
Useful additional resources and information
- Health matters (6454)
- Catering scheme (6480)
- Climbing and abseiling scheme (6142)
- Walking scheme (6563)
- For information on large-scale events, joint events with other organisations and travelling abroad, please refer to the Going Away with Guiding book and the online manual.